It was a BC Aquasonics sweep at the Lower Mainland Regional Synchronized Swimming Championships (Provincial Stream) and Recreational Meet in April. Our teams took first place in every team event we entered plus 2nd in 10 & Under and 11-12 and a 3rd in Star 3-4. In solo, Caitlyn Nichols came first in the 13-15 solo event.
Our BC Aquasonics athletes also dominated the figures competition:
- Kayla Drew (10 & Under), Annie Wang (11-12), Mikayla Papillo (13-15), and Erin Nichols (16-18) all came first figures – Erin surpassed her nearest competitor by almost 5 full points!
- In the 11-12 age group figures, all Top 8 ribbons were won by BC Aquasonics athletes
- In 10 & Under figures, six of the Top 8 ribbons were won by BC Aquasonics athletes
- In 13-15 figures, five of the Top 8 ribbons were won by BC Aquasonics athletes
Full results are posted at Synchro BC http://www.synchro.bc.ca/Competitions/Results/
Our Canadian Open Gold Medalists!
A big congratulations to our Junior Duet, Marlene and Judith Gerhalter, who captured the international gold medal for their duet at the Canadian Open Synchronized Swimming Championships in Toronto last week. Marlene and Judith are from Austria and have spent this year with our Junior A Team. We are very proud to call you BC Aquasonics this year!
Our Head Coach Susan Kemper, also came away from the Canadian Open as winner of the Charlotte Tutte Trophy. The Charlotte Tutte Trophy is awarded to one coach in Canada each year for developing team spirit and enhancing the growth of athletes as individuals and competitors. Congratulations Susan!
Canadian Open Team Results:
- Junior A “Cannibals” Team – Routine 7th/Championship 7th
- Junior B “Aliens” Team – Routine 9th/Championship 10th
- Combo “Zombies” Team – 7th
Full results are posted at Synchro Canada: http://2015shiseidoopen.com/schedule-and-results/
Year End Watershow & AGM: May 20
Before our teams head to their final meets of the year, everyone will have a chance to see our amazing teams at Year End Watershow, May 20 at Surrey Sport and Leisure Centre at 4:30pm. Bring your friends and family members to give our teams a great send off! Admission: Parents of our athletes – free. Children – free. All others – $5. Proceeds to the scholarship fund.
For parents, the AGM will follow the Watershow at 5:45pm in multi-purpose room #2. This meeting is where we will hold the elections for the 2015-2016 Executive. Also on the Agenda will be a review of the new registration process for next season and numerous bylaws changes that we need to make.
During the meeting, all athletes can stay in the pool for games and activities until 7pm.
More Meets to Come
Good luck to all of our competitive teams at the final meets of our 2014-2015 season!
- Jean Peters Provincial Championships: all of our Provincial Stream competitive teams will be competing for the BC provincial titles in Kamloops BC, May 22-24.
- US Open Synchronized Swimming Championships: Our Junior A team and Junior Duet will be Canada’s sole representative at the US Open Synchronized Swimming Championships in Long Island, New York, May 26-31.
Blossom Invitational Meet: Our 13-15 team and two 11-12 provincial stream teams head to Washington State for the Blossom Invitation meet in Kirkland, June 6-7.
New BC Aquasonics Website
The new BC Aquasonics website launched just a few weeks ago at www.bcaquasonics.com. Highlights of the new website include:
- The Synchro Store – you can now purchase your Club wardrobe and equipment online plus register for lesson programs (and other programs in the future)
- Our Head Coach’s Blog “Let Me Be Clear” under News and Events – plus this is where you will find our press releases and newsletter from now on
- The “Meet the Teams” Page under “Programs” with team photos and their competition results this year
- Facebook feed running at the bottom of every page
Coming Soon: you will be able to renew your annual club membership online through the website – opens May 20.
Summer Training Begins June 15
Summer training will be offered from June 15th through July 29th, every Monday and Wednesday at Surrey Sport and Leisure from 4-7pm. Athletes of all ages and levels can register for as few or as many sessions of Summer Training as they wish – each session sold separately. Summer training is optional and is for fun and fitness. Registration will open May 20 through the Synchro Store at www.bcaquasonics.com.
Scholarship Applications Now Being Accepted
We are now accepting scholarship application from athletes who will be Seniors in the 2015-2016 season, swimming with the BC Aquasonics and attending post-secondary education. The full criteria, application form, and submission instructions are available on our website at https://bcaquasonics.com/scholarship-fund/. Applications are due by May 31. One scholarship of $500 will be awarded.
Get Ready for 2015-2016 Synchro
Mark your calendars now for next year’s season start dates:
Aug 30 – National Stream season begins
Aug 30 to Sept 3 – Provincial Stream Synchro Camp – NEW THIS YEAR. This camp is open to any athlete currently in Provincial Stream, Recreational swimmers wanting to move to competitive, and for new swimmers wanting to try synchro
Sept 9 – Provincial Stream season begins
More information on registration will be available in May. All programs in August and September are held at SSLC due to CCAC shutdown.
Summer Star 1-4 Class
Our recreational program will run into July this year. We are offering a Star 1-4 class at Surrey Sport and Leisure Centre, twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4 to 5:30pm. This class is open to new synchronized swimmers or those who have been in a star class previously. To register, go to the synchro store at https://bcaquasonics.com/product/star-1-4-summer-june-15th-start-surrey/